All about tips: where did this concept of who and how much should you tip, how to Express appreciation for the service, if not cash, what should I do if the staff does not let you without encouragement.
1. Where and when the tipping?There are at least two versions of the origin of the concept of «tipping» (in English- tips). One of them, the appearance of the tip associated with the birth in the eighteenth century, tea culture in England when wealthy ladies and gentlemen were partaking of the aromatic beverage in the lush gardens. Over time, those wishing to enjoy a Cup of tea was becoming more and hot drink to the tables were getting less — slow the waiters were struggling to serve everyone on time. Priorities helped the box that says «TIPS» (To Insure Prompt Service «for fast service»), coins which significantly motivated the staff. According to another version, the source is the origin of the word «tip» indicates a slang verb to tip — to pass from one person to another.
2. To whom and for what?It is customary to leave a tip to the service personnel as a reward for good work. But this rule has its exceptions: chef, flight attendant, dentist or translator can in response to your «generosity,» just to be offended. Worldwide list of «tipping» professions and places where it is customary to tip approximately the same. In restaurants, the money usually left to the waiters and bartenders on the table after paying the bill. In hotels it is customary to tip the porter for delivering suitcases in the room, and leaving, to leave money for the maid — on the bed or bedside table. In the beauty tips rely to all who served you, personally. Airports trifle is customary to give porters for their services. The bus driver and guide on excursions gratuities are usually harvested from the whole group. On a cruise ship the money do waiters, bartenders and maids. And at the end of the trip lay a certain amount in the envelope is then divided equally between the whole crew. Casino waiters give a tip for each drink, the dealer at the end of the game, especially if you win. At the gas station and wash the extra charge will be waiting for serving you, the employees, while in the Parking lot tipping is customary to give only when you return the car.
3. To pay or not?Usually a tip is voluntary. Everyone decides to give them or not and why. Even in America, where the tradition of tipping is built into the cult and supported by a special Memorandum of the National restaurant Association, USA, in which they recorded the recommended amounts, nobody’s going to send you to jail for refusing to raise to the account. Max — send when all aloud. The reason to pay just not worth it — poor service: laziness, rudeness, absent-mindedness. But sometimes it happens that the tip has to leave against their will: if they are already included in the invoice and on the receipt of the written Tips Are Included. There’s nothing you can do about it!
4. Banned.There are countries where tipping is not accepted. Or, as in China, is prohibited by law. The Chinese themselves say that the lack of the tip helps to maintain the foundations of their worldview: an employee lives thanks to his master and simply can’t take money from other people. But the Western influence is inevitable. If earlier in response to the proposed money from the waiter could be heard only a scared «BU-BU-BU» («No»), now the situation has changed. There are a number of expensive restaurants where a tip may be included in the bill; in others, the waiters themselves are willing to take them as encouragement. Unlike China, in Japan, the money just will not take: the Japanese believe that good service is their responsibility, and do not accept any remuneration. Tips can insult the honor of the owner of a Japanese restaurant: you doubt that he is able to pay well for the work its employees? In New Zealand and Australia tipping is also undesirable and may even cause hostility — it doesn’t matter if you leave the money to the waiter, the bartender or a maid. In 2010, the Ministry of economy of the United Arab Emirates has prohibited employees of the restaurants and cafes include tips in the bill. Ban dis
astronauts for food service establishments outside the hotels and tourist centers, and operates throughout the country. Also, tourists and local residents were invited to make complaints to the demands of gratuity in excess of the amount of the account. Violate the ban on establishments fined and even deprived of the permission to conduct trade. In an impromptu list of «No Tips, Please» might also include Brunei, Oman, South Korea and Singapore.
5. The size of the tip.Each country has its own dimensions and conditions for the tip. Conditionally they can be divided into two categories: first, where the tip is in excess of the amount specified in the bill; and second, where the tip is already included in the bill. Typically, the tip size ranges from 5 to 10% of the invoice amount. But there is an unwritten rule that the minimum amount should not be less than the banknotes of the small denomination (1 dollar, 1 Euro, 10 rubles, etc.). In a taxi it is customary to round up to the next whole number: if the counter $5,40, you have to pay 6$ if $14 then $15, etc., The biggest tip — up to 25% — decided to leave in the United States. Here they form the basic earnings of workers in the service industry. In the United States feel almost obligated to: box with the inscription TIPS there’s even at McDonald’s. Leave less than 10% is considered improper catch up, will be accused of forgetfulness and will ask you to report.Another country where also can not get away from the expensive «tea», is France. Does the amount of 15-16% of the order will be automatically included in the bill (service compris line). The French themselves do not give an additional tip, foreigners — rather out of ignorance. In Italy and Germany in check would include a more modest 5-10%. In most other countries tipping is voluntary, but rarely drops below 5%, and in Switzerland, Holland and Austria it is 3-6%. In the East — in Tunisia, Turkey and Egypt — the usual gratuities of 5-10% are called «baksheesh» and is expected everywhere: the level of urgency of the staff in trying to capitalize on tea often requires a separate moral training. In Russia the culture of tipping is gradually developing, the average amount of tea is 10%, and almost never included in your account: fee to the waiter is welcomed, but always remains at your discretion.
6. What to do if you have no cash?Even if you pay with your credit card, it is good to bring some cash for tips. However, its absence is not a problem: have to write off an additional amount from the card. In the receipt as a separate line can be a paragraph about such a text: «Please charge credit card __ RUB on tip costs.» A tip left by credit card are removed from the second transaction: first, the Bank receives the communication of withdrawal of money on account, then on the withdrawal of money for services rendered. Such tips are taxed and therefore not so dearly loved waiter. If no money, no cards, no hand shall descend and Souvenirs with symbols of your country, pen, cigarette or similar thing. We can’t leave a good man without attention. Do the waiters say that if no tip, then you can always ask the complaints book and to write down something good- at least you improve the mood, and the house — reputation.
7. How to deal with the discontent?The discontent of the personnel with number of tips can be found anywhere, but the situation in the United States: if you leave less than the prescribed 15%, you will inquire what was the matter. You will not find a reasonable answer — you face scorn and hit the black list of customers. The young waiter from San Francisco once even created a website with information about the most greedy customers. Intelligence, of course, hastily closed his «security reasons», but the fact remains — in America need to accept the need to leave a tip. Sometimes the staff behaves is unacceptable: you frankly are rude or do not return the change. Here you can get lost guiltily to retire or to report a couple of bills on the table. But it is better to go on the principle: ask for the complaint book to remind you that gratuity and delivery — not the same thing, but «tea» is voluntary. And in this situation certainly unnecessary.
8. Personal opicana Golikova, student»When I was travelling in the States, tipping had to leave everywhere — the rest flew a lot of money! One time I tried to write «tea» with a Russian credit card, but the Bank posts
ital a second operation — the removal of money for the service — suspicious and blocked it. Although my companions all went well».Alina Kolobkov, personal trainer»on a business trip a couple of days I couldn’t get used to no tipping in Japan — I left money every time I chased and was told that I forgot to change. Back, what can you do!»
9. Interesting facts about tips▶ the Desire of people to leave a tip according to psychologists, the desire to show their financial viability and to conform to social norms.▶ The biggest tip get waiters who are exposed to clients by name.▶ More all tips women, neurotics and extroverts.▶ In there US there are black lists of customers, which will wear those who do not pay or give less than 15%, they simply denied service.▶ Eight years ago, Hungary was the code of honor the waiter on which they were forbidden to remind a customer about a tip and to demonstrate dissatisfaction. The appearance of the honor code has led to the fact that today’s tea began to leave more.▶ In the pubs of Ireland the work of the bartender decided to promote the drink.▶ The biggest tip — $16 000 — left in a new York cafe American businessman.